Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sold Weed.for.Sale, Cannabis.for.Sale, cbd.for.Sale, Edibles.for.Sale - in Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold Weed.for.Sale, Cannabis.for.Sale, cbd.for.Sale, Edibles.for.Sale - in Canada

Cannabis related domains really getting hot in Canada

Yes because it will be legal starting canada day..july 1st
    How do you sell these ? Subdomains look hard to sell
    www.Domain.Partners

Comment

Originally posted by Domain.Partners View Post
      Yes because it will be legal starting canada day..july 1st
      How do you sell these ? Subdomains look hard to sell

I think mostly subdomains are a harder sell than others - although CentralNIC have been successfully running second-level registries for some time - like UK.COM etc, but the fact that FOR.SALE names make short natural language phrases makes them more attractive - and some of our names even make brand names, like JUST.FOR.MEN. If you tweet them, they automatically become clickable.

At $25/yr (fixed for the life of the domain) they are competitively priced. Not as cheap as COM, but we can't compete with the scale of that operation!

Rightside (as was) had thought about running FOR.SALE as a second-level registry themselves, but they felt there could be a conflict of interest with running dot-FORSALE, so we bid for the contract and got it - we run a fully RFC compliant registry system. Before doing this I was the CTO and dot-IO for ten years - so I know about running registries and DNS etc.

Personally, I really like the idea of using domain names to make short natural language phrases and I think it could be a good business direction for newGTLDs, as a unique selling point many of them have is that they are real words, instead of geeky computer code. If natural language domain names had come first, nobody would be interested in the old-school geek code ones. But history is history.

Comment

Congrats!
        Sell any of my names at: Fancy.domains and get 30% commission.

My portfolio of domains
        Follow me on Twitter
        Connect with me on Linkedin

Comment

I bought cannabis.online and marijuana.online about a year ago for 67k , it's a huge market!

Comment

• mad409
            mad409 commented
            Editing a comment
            For real, 67K?

• airmax
            airmax commented
            Editing a comment
            K's don't look like much beside Billions

The market has not even touched the surface, the money being spent is enormous, massive production facilities next to airport tarmacs, there is going to be so many mergers, and acq, check the parent brand of Corona beer taking a 10% stake in publicly traded WEED.TSX,, for mj infused drinks, company up about 100% in a single year.

This industry is going to make a whole new breed of billionaires for sure.
            Last edited by airmax; 11-15-2017, 10:28 PM.

• Phil
            Phil commented
            Editing a comment
            For real 67k , and I have had offers for the two in excess of double that within a week of my purchase . The cannabis market world wide is predicted to be larger than the corn crop

Originally posted by Phil View Post
          I bought cannabis.online and marijuana.online about a year ago for 67k , it's a huge market!

WOW! sounds like my buyer made a good investment - we sell pretty much all FOR.SALE domains for $25/yr! And he's one of our Affiliates, so got a 10% rebate!

Comment

Crypto-Domains are getting hot right now too - we recently sold a few - like Bitcoin.for.sale

Comment

I noticed on your TOS it says "Domains can be transferred from one registrar to another".

How do you transfer a subdomain?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                I noticed on your TOS it says "Domains can be transferred from one registrar to another".

How do you transfer a subdomain?

The domains can be transferred in the normal way - owner sets an AutoCode & recipient requests the transfer using the AuthCode.

The registry system is fully "EPP" compliant - compatible with all the gTLD registries (RFC5730-5734 & RFC5910)

Currently we don't have any registrars - but we're working on it - so right now you can only transfer between accounts on our system.

Many ccTLDs run second level registries, it not unusual - like CO.UK or ORG.AU, in reality LAND.FOR.SALE is technically identical to IBM.CO.UK

When you buy one of our domains it is a true domain - included in the price, we offer web & mail forwarding, or DNS hosting, to help get people started more quickly, but if you want to run the domain on your own external Name Servers, you can do that - it is a real domain. Like I said, Rightside had considered running it themselves, but had a conflict of interest.

Comment

So a sub domain can be transferred to another registrar different than the actual domain?

So for.sale being at Name.com can have stuff.for.sale go to eNom?

Comment

I like the for.sale idea a lot. I have few dozens of names like bitcoinsfor.sale or cannabisfor.sale or newhomesfor,sale myself as I like those natural phrases- so for example for bitcoinsfor.sale, the competitors are bitcoins.for.sale and bitcoins.forsale.

Purely aesthetically, I have to say I like bitcoins.for.sale form most, although bitcoinsfor.sale or bitcoins.forsale have the advantage of not being subdomains, imo.

Anyway, creating names using for.sale is a great idea, and can be even more profitable in case natural speech recognition becomes mainstream in future via assistants like Siri, etc - in which case this forms of domains can get some huge advantage - it is a pure speculation of course, and maybe is not going to happen at all, but I made my small bet on it

Btw, phrases.for.sale, I would maybe price some terms higher - as there are not unlimited options one can make using for.sale - $25 tag is funny for domains like bitcoins.for.sale, or homes.for.sale, etc. For those quality subdomains, I would definitely aim higher.
                    get your new domain at Brands.International
                    PM here or write at marek@brands.international

Comment

Originally posted by Marek View Post
                      I like the for.sale idea a lot. I have few dozens of names like bitcoinsfor.sale or cannabisfor.sale or newhomesfor,sale myself as I like those natural phrases- so for example for bitcoinsfor.sale, the competitors are bitcoins.for.sale and bitcoins.forsale.

Purely aesthetically, I have to say I like bitcoins.for.sale form most, although bitcoinsfor.sale or bitcoins.forsale have the advantage of not being subdomains, imo.

Anyway, creating names using for.sale is a great idea, and can be even more profitable in case natural speech recognition becomes mainstream in future via assistants like Siri, etc - in which case this forms of domains can get some huge advantage - it is a pure speculation of course, and maybe is not going to happen at all, but I made my small bet on it

Btw, phrases.for.sale, I would maybe price some terms higher - as there are not unlimited options one can make using for.sale - $25 tag is funny for domains like bitcoins.for.sale, or homes.for.sale, etc. For those quality subdomains, I would definitely aim higher.

Thanks for your support

I agree with the issue of spoken input and, yes, it is speculation / risk, just like when DomainKing bought NNN.COM domains in 1997/1999 and just sold ten of them for a multi-million $ price

You have to try and be ahead of the curve

I think that from a purely aesthetic point of view, domains that break at the word boundaries just look nicer - but if you only have two words, the range of phrases is quite limited, and therefore they are expensive - but extending it to three words the concept has the possibility to become more mass-market. Four words is probably too many!

Three-word-phrases have been the cornerstone of the advertising industry for some time ("Just do it" etc), with many papers written on the subject. I wrote a blog on it - https://names.of.london/press/poweri...-the-internet/

There are about 10 domains in FOR.SALE that have a premium price, HOMES is one - mostly based on the volume of type-in traffic they get - HOMES.FOR.SALE gets about 1000 (targeted) visitors a week - if you estimate $1/visitor that would make it worth ~$52K - we're not asking that much -- $5K new, $250 renew - its a high price (our highest price), but that's a lot of visitors.

The full list is - LAND, PROPERTY, WWW, HOME, HOMES, HOUSE, HOUSES, DOGS, PUPPIES, CARS

There are marketing advantages to being able to simply state "all domains $25/yr, all prices guaranteed for the lifetime of the domain". I want to be able attract domain investors and ensure the price is pitched at a point that gives room for them to make a margin and not put the risk too high - premium domain prices in many newGTLDs have excluded domain investors from taking part and I think that's a mistake and created a lot of bad feeling in the industry. On the other hand you also want a good proportion of the names in your zone to be developed to maintain a good reputation.

Its a really delicate balance and, as you say, I am in a slightly weaker position than a TLD.

Comment

So a sub domain can be transferred to another registrar different than the actual domain?

Yes, this is entirely possible, so long as "stuff.for.sale" is a TRUE domain.

From a technical perspective, all domains (except the ROOT) are sub-domains, it's just some go deeper than others.

To be a TRUE domain, you need to be allowed to set you own EXTERNAL Name Servers for the domain - you can do this for all our domains. We are not just offering virtual hosting on these names, or setting up host names in the FOR.SALE zone file, these are true domains - you can use them in place of any other domain name - e.g. "eric@stuff.for.sale" is fine - e.g. you can contact me at "registry@names.of.london".

You should be able to host the DNS with any DNS provider - we also offer a simple DNS hosting, to help you get started, if you wish. But we have customers who host their DNS through AWS, DynDNS and others.

All registrars talk to the registry operator using a protocol called "EPP" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extens...oning_Protocol ... so long as the registry system (like ours) can speak EPP then it will work with any registrar.

However, as with any other domain, we would need eNom to support FOR.SALE in order to take "stuff.for.sale" as a customer's domain.

For a registrar, doing all the setting up & testing necessary to ensure everything will work is a cost to them, so they need to know they will sell enough domains to cover that cost. Right now they are not confident enough that this will be true for FOR.SALE - so we need to work at raising the profile of the domain, increase direct sales and general support for the concept. For example, we are currently in the process of getting all our domains added to the Public Suffix List, https://publicsuffix.org/ run by Mozilla and used by many to know what domains & subdomains may have public content.

It may be also be that registrars are reluctant to carry our domains until we have been added to the Public Suffix List - many SSL Certificate companies require this - so currently some Certificate issuers may be reluctant to issue a certificate for our domains - others are quite happy to issue certificates for subdomains as its common to need subdomain certificates for all sorts of reasons.

Registrars are like a bit like shops, they are happy to stock an item if it will sell, but (quite rightly) they do not see it as their job to create the market for the product in the first place. Creating the market/demand is the job of the registry.

Its early days - we will get there.
                        Last edited by phrases.for.sale; 11-17-2017, 06:40 AM.

Comment

and I have had offers for the two in excess of double that within a week of my purchase
                          WOW - no way - that's amazing!!!! ... weed.for.mom and weed.for.men still available

The cannabis market world wide is predicted to be larger than the corn crop
                          I'm not sure I see that, everybody eats bread (or similar) every day - not everybody will smoke weed and not every day, but when you look at the size of the alcohol & tobacco markets its not hard to see its going to be huge - I suspect within my lifetime it will be legalised in most developed countries, e.g. with restrictions on strength & strain etc.

I also think (for historical reasons) there will be a lot of reluctance for mainstream stores to stock it and customers will feel embarrassed to walk into a store to buy it, so the primary channel will be on-line.

Comment

Not many people know, but there is a registry operator for the ROOT zone (only one - so no transfers!). ICANN are (obviously) the Administrative Contact, but IANA are the Technical Contact & registry operator.

So when a ccTLD wants to make a change to their Name Servers, they apply to IANA - but if there is a change of operator, this needs to be done through ICANN.

For example, here is (effectively) the WHOIS record for dot-UK - https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/uk.html

Comment

Working...
                            X