Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice to meet everyone here

I am Mike Kugler, owner of www.Vacation.Rentals

I can see by previous discussions people are aware of our company and our purchase of the URL from Donuts.

Basically, I came by to introduce myself, tell you some of the other things we are doing and just banter a bit.

Trust me, there is plenty of people out there ready to rip the gTLD sites but I am not one of them.

My position is that people are not working them hard enough like the dot commers are.

Anyway, nice to meet you. Will keep everyone posted on what is happening with our site.

​Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you are doing great monetising the domain/site as it is ranking on first page of Google for 'vacation rentals'. I wish you all the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Malik@domain.broker View Post
      Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you are doing great monetising the domain/site as it is ranking on first page of Google for 'vacation rentals'. I wish you all the best!

We are doing good - not great - good.

If I were to be honest, I would have expected to have had 3,000 listings as of right now as opposed to 1300 that we do have.

Having said that, it is a work in progress. I think over time we will continue to increase and I feel confident that at least we are in the game now

Comment

Originally posted by VacaRent View Post
        I am Mike Kugler, owner of www.Vacation.Rentals

I can see by previous discussions people are aware of our company and our purchase of the URL from Donuts.

Basically, I came by to introduce myself, tell you some of the other things we are doing and just banter a bit.

Trust me, there is plenty of people out there ready to rip the gTLD sites but I am not one of them.

My position is that people are not working them hard enough like the dot commers are.

Anyway, nice to meet you. Will keep everyone posted on what is happening with our site.

​Mike
        Nice to meet you, best of luck with your site. I'm a new G lover and pulling for ya!
        Domains for-sale, www.DomainByOwner.net.

Comment

welcome welcome Mike
          NEW NAMES - ROYAL SUPER SALE

Comment

Welcome Mike.

Looks like you are still on page one for vacation rentals. Nice work.

Comment

Welcome Mike, and wish you all the best with your business... your site is amazing, and that ranking is just crazy, after such short period of time. GL!
              founder, Brands.International

Comment

Like I said before, I think the gTLDs are very profitable and will work, but there is some danger in people either holding out for too high of a price OR established businesses just buying the domain and redirecting it back to their dot com. As long as this continues, gTLDs will never flourish. If you guys were to sell and demand a working product (website) as part of the discussion, you could increase the value of the URLs exponentially.

Not going to tell anyone here how to run their business as I know how tricky this can be for everyone involved, but I think it is a shame it is such a battle to get more of them out there in the public.

I will say this is the most important thing I have learned over the past year. Absolutely THE most important thing.

Make sure to advertise and speak with the "www" part first whenever you are advertising the URL.

It is simply astonishing to me how many people make the connection once they hear that. If you just go _______ dot _______ it is almost always is followed with the comment "And then dot com?"

Prefix it with www and you will have almost 100% acceptance and understanding.

Have a good one, Mike

Comment

Nice to meet you as well
                  Take a look at vacation.guide when you have a moment
                  Thanks
                  www.Domain.Partners

Comment

Originally posted by Domain.Partners View Post
                    Nice to meet you as well
                    Take a look at vacation.guide when you have a moment
                    Thanks
                    Appreciate that, but honestly - I am swimming in pretty deep water at the moment with www.vacation.rentals and it is just about all I can do to keep up.

Comment

So what is the deal with the $300 on your $500,300 purchase? I think your logo makes me think of some kind of virtual reality kit.

I looked for rentals in Seattle, I found 1 on your site, and over 300 on VacationRentals.com

You got your work cut out for you, Donuts knows how to sweet talk people, why do you think they sold a portion of their company, there is some serious weakness in the gtld space, sales are getting less, and less each year that passes. You can take a look at this once thriving thread, most of the people here have dropped a lot of their investments into the space. If I had to go back, and reinvest I would put it all down on .com, and it would have paid greater dividends along the way, and present day.

The $500,300 question in the room is how do you work around the traffic you will bleed to the better inventory site of vacationrentals.com? No person with their sanity would pay $500K for a domain without owning the .com also, and trying to build a real business on it. All you had to do was put $100K on the table, and wait them out, eventually they would have come knocking once they knew vacationrentals.com is not going to buy it.

At least donuts was kind enough to give you a reg fee renewal for your investment.
                      Last edited by airmax; 09-05-2018, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Marek
                        Marek commented
                        Editing a comment
                        As usually, it does not make much sense, it is not good advice. Just imo.

• airmax
                        airmax commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Your advice is spend $500,300 without securing the .com, your an absolute clown, with zero credibility, and even less then 0 in sales, just renewals.

Fair enough

I will go through and address each point carefully. Ironic that you mention that about the logo. I literally had a compliment on it not too long ago where a guy mentioned seeing it helped him to "marry the left and right side" and it made sense to him.

The $300 was clearly done (at my request) to jump over home.loans for "first". There are a lot of things you can do with "first" that you can't do with $300. The amount of press that covered the sale was astonishing. It also placed us on the top 250 list 2 slots higher. I have requests for followup interviews in one year that will create a new round of discussions. Every single time someone pays more for a gTLD, we will gain tertiary benefit from mentions. Win/Win

To be honest, I had no idea we had a listing in Seattle. Cool

Seattle is the absolute last place we are marketing to. Right now, ALL of my focus is on Colorado and Florida. Those 2 states and those 2 alone will put us over the top. Clearly, someone in Seattle heard of us and listed. I wasn't aware. Now, go back and look at the 100s upon 100s of listings we have picked up in Florida. We are not even 4 months old and already have more than 1300 listings. That means we are picking up listings at a pace averaging better than 10 a day. I can live with that.

dot coms are starting to bore me. Every single day I come across a site in my searches that is gTLD. They are starting to show and they are gaining traction.

I look at it like this. While the price was steep for a gTLD it never caused me to look back and 2nd guess. The travelers (millenials - you know those kids who love new ideas and direction) are using it. The owners are telling each other about the site. The rollout for the technology continues to grow comfortably. And most importantly, the search engines are giving us a fair shake.

For these reasons and these alone, I am exceedingly happy with the purchase of the gTLD.

All the best, Mike

Comment

• airmax
                        airmax commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Facts come from experience, and I’m sorry you have lost money, and made some poor investments.

You can say whatever you want to me, it changes nothing. At the end of the day, your still a clown who made all the wrong calls, now it’s simply time to admit it, or you can keep fooling yourself.

I didn’t suck anything out of the forum, the reality of the facts are this thing went sideways. Most of the early guys made some decent sales, and hold the best keywords with low renewal. Your simply a bag holding cheerleader trying to ride the coattails of the after party.

• Marek
                        Marek commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So I lost money and made some poor investment decisions, or YOU lost money, and made some poor investment decisions?
                        From a look on it, it is YOU who keep complaining about new gTLDs in dozens of your posts. I keep buying new gTLDs massively, and last year and this year very much improved my portfolio. You simply keep projecting your personal experience onto others, that is what I mean what I speak about "suck out of energy". Reading you posts I am almost sure you were an early adopter and invested heavily, but I would guess you did not take much care about renewals (naturally, no one knew at that time what will be STR of new TLDs in future), and you are simply not profitable. I wrote some interesting articles about how to invest in new gTLDs at my webpage www.brands.international. You might want to read them, although I am sure you know it by now...

• airmax
                        airmax commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Marek Your still out of position, it is clear the registries are holding back the better terms, I have been involved with gtld's since pre release day 1 going back over 4 years now.

Thing is your like that clown who bought all those $500 .company renewals, and is yelling from roop tops of his million dollars asks because A.company has infinite potential to Apple, give me a break. The one tool you lack is the connection to actual end users, you get that by owning a good .com portfolio, and when they come knocking you open a conversation with them from there you can see there is little to none interest in them. If that doesn't tickle your fancy then you check the weekly sales reports, granted not all sales get reported it is still an indication. Sure there are guys who still think outside the box, and want to take a gamble on these things, and what do we think every time we get a decent offer/counter offer, well bless their hearts, we will play hard to get the highest price, and then absolutely no regrets.

Then there are people like you, who keep buying more thinking they are scoring, when they can't even sell the ones they have, time to think that one thru.

See the thing about me is I have been involved since day 1, seen the flurry of offers people were getting for their day 1 .guru's etc, and they balked at them only to end up dropping them a few years later, then we have the people who jumped the band wagon thinking they were in a .com 1995 time machine in 2016, and were going to score billions, but the registry outsmarted you.

The absolute best time to purchase GTLD's was 2014, and when many of the reserve lists opened up in 2015, especially the big one donuts had, after that it was slim pickings, and high EAP's.

I am not hanging here, if you look around not to many people are hanging around here, but I take offense to you filling people with the crap your peddling when you act like a clown with zero sales.

If you want to get people excited, lets hear the sales?
                        Last edited by airmax; 09-10-2018, 04:10 PM.

And yet, literally since the moment I posted a reply to you today and your follow up reply - we have added 3 new properties.

Go figure....

Going back to Seattle - it is not that I have anything against it. It's just that Orlando has more tourism in a single day than Seattle gets for the entire year. Knowing this, we targeted heavily to where the tourists go.

Here is the next thing with your .com obsession. VacationRentals.com was sold for $35,000,000 - roughly 70 times what I paid for V.R

They have about 80,000 listings. According to my calculations I would have to have 1142 listings to equal their valuation. (Already past that number)

They are backed by a large marketing budget - good. I am backed by a great domain that is performing at a stellar pace.

What will be your response when we hit 2,000? 5,000? 10,000? At some point it may become the greatest steal of the year.

I will assure you of this, I am exceedingly pleased with the site, domain, performance, etc.
                      Last edited by VacaRent; 09-06-2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike - Great to see you posting here and thanks for the info on your purchase and current status.

Let me get this shameless plug out of the way: luxurybeach.rentals and myrtlebeach.rentals and cruise.vacations are available. If you want to chat hit me up on PM. I'm not looking to hit a grand salami with any of those fwiw.

Where were we...
                        I believe some people looked at gtlds and were hoping - like Crypto - for instant success. And when that didn't happen they lost their patience and moved on. It's definitely note the same as the early release days, but that's to be expected. Having said that I have had an upsurge in inquiries recently. I believe long term, gtlds will do well, as long as they are strong, unique keyword pairs. That's the bottom line. These are phrases that people don't have to spend millions of marketing dollars to introduce a new name or phrase and lodge them into people's minds, (like some drug names) because they're already there. "vacation rentals" - couldn't be more direct. Plus, web marketing and trends will continue to change - that's essential part of the marketing beast; staying fresh and unique. If millenials aren't the ones who start making these more popular, then it will be whoever comes after millenials. Change is constant.

Again, thanks for your comments and frankness!

Cheers,
                        Dave
                        Last edited by Clear.Domains; 09-09-2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X