names.of.london - POSSIBLE SCAM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• names.of.london - POSSIBLE SCAM

UPDATE: I got an email from their technical team. They changed the renewal price to its original amount.

-----

Last year I registered 4 domains from name.of.london.

I went to renew one of them today, trucks.for.sale.

I originally bought it for $25.

Turns out, they decided to turn it into a "premium" domain after the fact, and now want $100 to renew it.

I contacted them, let's see what they answer.
    Last edited by Dan; 12-01-2018, 10:55 AM. Reason: Update

How is that a scam? They didn’t take your money and not deliver something.

Did you read their TOS, this person was pretty straight forward, as he worked on the early release of .io registry, I believe as the CTO.

They just adopted what all other gtlds are doing, premium renewal, they just didn’t inform you, or maybe according to their tos they don’t need to inform you.

Just one way of getting the domain back into their inventory, for maybe even a higher sale.

You are playing in an industry where the rules are stacked against you, and your provider wants to compete with you, take it as it comes, but scam is premature.

Comment

Other registries that add a "premium" tier after the fact usually grandfather the price already existing domains (example: .xyz), so it does surprise me that they would do this.

I have been investing in domains since 2014, and this is the first time a domain is switched to premium after I acquired it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Other registries that add a "premium" tier after the fact usually grandfather the price already existing domains (example: .xyz), so it does surprise me that they would do this.

I have been investing in domains since 2014, and this is the first time a domain is switched to premium after I acquired it.
        I totally agree that this is a scammy behavior. I hope it’s some kind of mistake.
        Sell any of my names at: Fancy.domains and get 25% commission.

My portfolio of domains
        Follow me on Twitter
        Connect with me on Linkedin

Comment

I found this text on their website:

”Prices shown are guaranteed to stay the same
          for the lifetime of the domain, even if you sell it”

My portfolio of domains
          Follow me on Twitter

Comment

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow!

I had 2 decent ones but wasn't sure what the hell to do with them so I let them expire. They were:
          Boats.for.sale
          Business.for.sale

Comment

UPDATE: I got an email from their technical team. They changed the renewal price to its original amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Nice to hear that!

My portfolio of domains
              Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
              X