vr,media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chad View Post
    A portfolio of 3,000 VRMedia.com's is worth 50-100 times more, easily, than a portfolio of 3,000 VR.media's.
    The problem is that acquiring each VRMedia.com would cost at least $1k - $3k to either buy it from its current owner or dropcatch (after auction).

So, unless you are willing to spend $3M - $9M to create this portfolio, this is not an option. And if you do have that kind of money, you may be better off investing in cryptos.

Comment

• airmax
      airmax commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed the cost is much less, but so is the target buyer market, it goes hand in hand.

I agree with Dan that acquiring VRmedia.com type of portfolio would be pretty costly in 2017. Unless you have such domains from past, you must pay lot in 2017. This is not a way, imo.

Crypto is one big gambling you can 100x your money there, or you can loose them all. Nothing against gambling, I play poker for years, and I love it. But you need to recognize that what you do is gamble, that is all. My cleaning lady has invested in bitcoin last week, what other can I say?

Best way (safest) to store and make money are properties. You buy property, rent it, your tenant will pay your mortgage in 15-20 years, property stays then fully yours. Repeat that several times early in your life, and you can retire when 35.

New gTLds domains are great opportunities for wealth creation, unless you buy into those $70-500 renewals. You can get very nice .online, .life, .live, .vip and few others, still at the moment (buy bying them high XX - low XXX from early adopters), and keep them with 4-5$/year renewals at suitable registrars. Renew your nice domains for $40-$50 for next 10 years, and have fun, instead of any kind of pressure. I did that for many of my domains and really can not complain.

New gTLDs are 4-5 years in existence, what was the situation with bitcoin in 2013, 4 years afte its start, what was it price? I am sure it was not 10k, it was few hundreds. And where were .coms 4 years after they start?? The same valid for new gTLDs, patience is the key, together with extra care about your renewals, they must be as small as possible so you can actually hold it, not sell your good pieces for $50/piece wholesale. One can not reasonable expect to buy new gTLD and flip it 100x in next few months, we have only few such a cases. The value will be build as time pass, with good new gTLD extensions. Just imho.
    founder, Brands.International

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

The problem is that acquiring each VRMedia.com would cost at least $1k - $3k to either buy it from its current owner or dropcatch (after auction).

So, unless you are willing to spend $3M - $9M to create this portfolio, this is not an option. And if you do have that kind of money, you may be better off investing in cryptos.
      There are many high valued dotcoms to be had on the cheap. You just have to find them.

If someone had $3M - $9M I wouldn't say put it in cryptos. You already have millions, no need to risk it. Cryptos are high risk. Best to put in a smaller amount and hope to build it to millions

$3M - $9M invested in good dotcoms is a solid investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post

Yes, with around 3,000 or so of them you can make a few nice end user sales monthly.

It's all about getting there and at the right "renewal" prices that can produce a profit.

If you owned 1,000 VR.media types at $70 a year renewal you need to sell 70K worth of domains to break even.

Not a gamble I would bet on anymore. Too many good dotcoms to be had with better "odds of selling".

There is more opportunity with dotcom now that some of the attention has moved to cryptos.

A portfolio of 3,000 VRMedia.com's is worth 50-100 times more, easily, than a portfolio of 3,000 VR.media's.

Except for a few gems that drop, especially by way of Edward dropping most of his, the opportunity in ngtlds has been over for a long time now.

Anyone focused in the ngtld market is wasting time.
        I couldn't agree more, the GTLD's are a curse, the kind of funds invested in 2014/2015 when there was some nice .com pricing in the aftermarket would have been paying nice dividends by now.

I am extremely lucky that I was able to get off a few big gtld sales, to some large companies that have made me whole, but I still cringe when I add handful in my cart, and then when I add 100 .com's to renew, it makes it look like peanuts.

I am very happy Donuts is taking back names into it's reserved holdings, helps people sell what they have as it takes inventory off the market, unless the user is advanced, and contacts them.

When people say I am selling all my domains, and moving into crypto, I don't think that is the right approach, but given the quality of ones portfolio, if not premium it might be a good idea. Cryptos are finding a base now, there are going to be winners, and losers, and when things go red, you go red with it, unless you are ground floor. Domains are a solid investment, but buying in todays crowded aftermarkets is expensive.

Phil basically controls the LL.Media space, so if anyone has any insight on that investment it would be him. Sure in Year 1, and 2 you could make that $70K break even selling off your best inventory, but after that you are going to bleed every year until you can't afford to renew them.

Edward is a very smart guy, we saw him early on grabbing great stuff, he would research that one gem with the reg fee renewal that got thru the cracks cigar.house, vr.media etc.. he was a great contributor here also, he always said I have a 5 year plan, $250K set aside to renew them for 5 years, but we are going into Year 4, and I am sure some guys can scrape a living buying low hanging fruit, and selling it for a few hundred bucks, but this is expensive inventory that piles up, then adds up in renewals. I haven't seen Edward since his facebook grandslam deal, and that really probably just gave him what he put back into this, as he bought some big names from Phil, for like close to $20K, and he just let them drop like no tomorrow. It is kind of sad to see, but we can't ignore what the end users want, and that is .com.

Sure there will always be someone who does things differently that wants a gtld, but they are few, and far between, the whole premium model is broken, and the user traction is not there, and from the investment side it is now considered dead money.

The only action going on right now is guys are registering those $4.99 and under type domains, then blasting end users who put them on ignore, then they are dropping them. Albeit there are some sales still happening, but you need to hold a massive portfolio, where the renewals will eat all your profits. I have a killer term in .guru, regular renewal, registered on 02-02-2014, to this day I can't get a measly $5K from it, all types of user inquiries, and whatevers.

I wish you guys luck, but the momentum is not with GTLD's, negotiate hard on your sales, and get that $ out, and move on with it. Albeit VR, MJ, and Crypto are still growing markets, it is not an absolute, but a generalization. You are going to get your chances to sell as your niches trend, take advantage of it.
        Last edited by airmax; 12-06-2017, 01:29 PM.

Comment

"The only action going on right now is guys are registering those $4.99 and under type domains, then blasting end users who put them on ignore, then they are dropping them"

No, this is not happening if your names are good. And if your names has $4.99 renewals, there is no reason to drop them whatsoever. And what is more important, end users love low standard renewals. I have domains like refinance.vip, hypo.online or moon.life, all with $5 or less renewal at registrars where I hold them.

If you do not believe you can have great names secured with $5 or less renewals (seems like your sentence implies that), we can make following exercise : put your 5 best names (with whatever high renewal they have, no restriction here) and I will put my 5 best names with renewal $5 or less, and lets others decide which portfolio of 5 is more valuable, in their opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Marek View Post
            "The only action going on right now is guys are registering those $4.99 and under type domains, then blasting end users who put them on ignore, then they are dropping them"

No, this is not happening if your names are good. And if your names has $4.99 renewals, there is no reason to drop them whatsoever. And what is more important, end users love low standard renewals. I have domains like refinance.vip, hypo.online or moon.life, all with $5 or less renewal at registrars where I hold them.

If you do not believe you can have great names secured with $5 or less renewals (seems like your sentence implies that), we can make following exercise : put your 5 best names (with whatever high renewal they have, no restriction here) and I will put my 5 best names with renewal $5 or less, and lets others decide which portfolio of 5 is more valuable, in their opinion
            I respect your ambition, you got heart, your dedicated, but that doesn't make it a sure thing. You have the right train of thought, but you are working outside the parameters, you will not be able to outsell your renewals.

I know you might think GTLD's are this well kept secret, I have been at this for 4 years now, from the start when enom screwed up the pre reg by messing up the fax line on registration, from when godaddy assigned the wrong domains to the wrong accounts, and pulled them back. In 2015 when donuts took the reserves off, it's been a long road, the end users are not connecting, I could sell an end user WhateverWord.com for $10K, and say hey you want to add on Whatever.Word for an extra $1K, they will say no, we don't need it in most cases.

I been at this from the start, before the start, mainly to protect my .com portfolio, in the end it's actually better if I let someone register the GTLD, because when they come for the .com it is going to be worth that much more. In hindsight if I stayed the course of registered 3-5L.com's, two keyword industry words, call to action terms, and one word brandables I would have been much better off, and they would be paying dividends now. Like many here I have some gems, so I am not pissed off, but the companies that marketed these things, just kind of stopped, they were burning to much cash without any results.

Did you know .HEALTH went live yesterday, nobody even talked about it, and that is a major Keyword ending in .com, big money names. The operators have ruined it, nobody wants to pay $10K a year to register some of these names.

When I talk about $4.99 domains, I mean the promo prices that revert to regular renewal after one year, what do you think happend to those 1 cent, and 10 cent .xyz, and .us domains.

You know what I hope I am wrong, but I have to be honest with myself, I make more if I am wrong, but at the end of the day, I have to go with the most logical path that offers the least resistance.

It doesn't matter what I say GTLD's will continue to sell, but that doesn't deem that a good investment present day for a domainer perspective, there is more opportunity, and less risk to be had from other avenues so to speak.

Comparing portfolios does nothing, you got a late start, not fair to you... For example for the names which you have such as TheCannabis.World, I have Cannabis.World etc... I am not talking from made up stuff, I have real world stats in play.

Bitcoin just surpassed $14K, I have to go celebrate, Good luck

Comment

I have actually never believed much in all these new extensions as it was obvious from start that the would create inflation in the domain world. For me it is all about taking the best drops as I can and stay away from crazy renewals. There are people in Sweden who have made a million out of collecting beer cans from trash bins, hehe

However, November was my best gTLD month since I started this in early 2014. And as I have stated before, I am not in it to get rich (yeah, if it would make me I will not disagree), but to pay my bills. I am probably kind of lucky at the moment, but as long as it is profitable, I'll not quit.
              Sell any of my names at: Fancy.domains and get 25% commission.

My portfolio of domains
              Follow me on Twitter
              Connect with me on Linkedin

Comment

I'm still all in with gTLDs, the more that bail the better for me and others that still believe.

Domains for-sale, www.DomainByOwner.net.

Comment

• airmax
                  airmax commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There is no shortage of domains to register now, a lot of inventory out there, this small community here can barely put a dent in it. Plus with the registries reserving the better drops, you will be none the wiser than hilary clinton on election day.

• mad409
                  mad409 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There is no substitute for hard work. There is no such thing as overnight success or easy money.

Originally posted by airmax View Post

I respect your ambition, you got heart, your dedicated, but that doesn't make it a sure thing. You have the right train of thought, but you are working outside the parameters, you will not be able to outsell your renewals.

I know you might think GTLD's are this well kept secret, I have been at this for 4 years now, from the start when enom screwed up the pre reg by messing up the fax line on registration, from when godaddy assigned the wrong domains to the wrong accounts, and pulled them back. In 2015 when donuts took the reserves off, it's been a long road, the end users are not connecting, I could sell an end user WhateverWord.com for $10K, and say hey you want to add on Whatever.Word for an extra $1K, they will say no, we don't need it in most cases.

I been at this from the start, before the start, mainly to protect my .com portfolio, in the end it's actually better if I let someone register the GTLD, because when they come for the .com it is going to be worth that much more. In hindsight if I stayed the course of registered 3-5L.com's, two keyword industry words, call to action terms, and one word brandables I would have been much better off, and they would be paying dividends now. Like many here I have some gems, so I am not pissed off, but the companies that marketed these things, just kind of stopped, they were burning to much cash without any results.

Did you know .HEALTH went live yesterday, nobody even talked about it, and that is a major Keyword ending in .com, big money names. The operators have ruined it, nobody wants to pay $10K a year to register some of these names.

When I talk about $4.99 domains, I mean the promo prices that revert to regular renewal after one year, what do you think happend to those 1 cent, and 10 cent .xyz, and .us domains.

You know what I hope I am wrong, but I have to be honest with myself, I make more if I am wrong, but at the end of the day, I have to go with the most logical path that offers the least resistance.

It doesn't matter what I say GTLD's will continue to sell, but that doesn't deem that a good investment present day for a domainer perspective, there is more opportunity, and less risk to be had from other avenues so to speak.

Comparing portfolios does nothing, you got a late start, not fair to you... For example for the names which you have such as TheCannabis.World, I have Cannabis.World etc... I am not talking from made up stuff, I have real world stats in play.

Bitcoin just surpassed $14K, I have to go celebrate, Good luck
                Those were some nice words and comments from you, appreciate that.

Still, my challenge to you stays in place, it will not be unfair to me, even when I got into this game later then you...the point I am trying to constantly make here is that the new gTLD name is not "gem" just because of the fantastic name itself...it is a combination of very low renewal + fantastic name which makes it "gem". So comparing selected names does something imo - I predict it will show, that your 5 best names and my 5 best names have same level of resale potential (more-less), while I keep those names 10x-20x cheaper at renewals side, comparing to you. That could partially explain why I am 10-20x more optimistic about potential of new gTLDs as an investments tool, also comparing to you. Do not know your best names, so just a prediction, but that's my feeling at the moment. I might be wrong, but we do not know until we see the names...

I am sure you know TheCannabis.World is not my best domain (I am not gonna renew it), but happy to learn about your Cannabis.World, which is very decent, and renewal for the name of this quality is also very fair. So that would be very good candidate on your list of 5.

PS: If you a bitcoin holder, sincere congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                X