I can see that you are selling names kinda cheap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can see that you are selling names kinda cheap

I can see that some of you are selling loads of names kind of cheap.

Are you just cleaning up your portfolios or are some of you actually quitting?

Just curious!
    Sell any of my names at: Fancy.domains and get 35% commission.

My portfolio of domains
    Follow me on Twitter
    Connect with me on Linkedin

cleaning
    NEW NAMES - ROYAL SUPER SALE

Comment

• Fancy Domains
      Fancy Domains commented
      Editing a comment
      Great!

Me too... Trying to improve the portfolio ~20% per year and hope for the future!

For me not cleaning but to cut down renewal expenses compressing build big portfolio
    I know I am selling nice names for cheap

Comment

• Fancy Domains
      Fancy Domains commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok thanks!

Isn't that about the same thing?

No if I am capable to bear the renewal fee then I wouldn't sell the domains for cheap price

Comment

• Fancy Domains
      Fancy Domains commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, got it now

• Royal.Domains
      Royal.Domains commented
      Editing a comment
      domainic finishing

• mad409
      mad409 commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear ya renewals are tough...

Everyone should be dropping names.

A portfolio that gets enough inquiries per day to make a living from takes time to build.

Personally, I don't sell my lower end names which I plan to drop as I don't like to mess with a lot of small transactions, but for smaller portfolios it makes sense to sell and get something back.

Remember, it's all about the "odds of selling".

I have names that get an inquiry every week. Some have not had any inquiries for 10 years but are still "ok names".

This does not mean a domain will not sell for a nice profit though.

Some investors do need to sell the names with lower odds of selling (names that there are not many buyers for) to stronger hands who, financially, can hold them longer until the right buyer comes along.

It's all part of the game.

Comment

• Fancy Domains
      Fancy Domains commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree that you should drop names and I'm dropping like never before. Just because I am able to get better ones from dropcatching. I want to slim my portfolio down to 365 names (OCD, haha). I have about 600 now, so I will drop a lot the coming months.

Just curious because of the number of this kind of threads lately.

Hmm, I will probably make my own this week. Better to try to sell cheap than just drop.

Originally posted by Chad View Post

I have names that get an inquiry every week.
    New gTLDs?

Comment

• Chad
      Chad commented
      Editing a comment
      Speaking of my whole portfolio. I do have a few ntlds that would average the same in inquiries.

Everyone should be dropping names.

A portfolio that gets enough inquiries per day to make a living from takes time to build.

Personally, I don't sell my lower end names which I plan to drop as I don't like to mess with a lot of small transactions, but for smaller portfolios it makes sense to sell and get something back.

Remember, it's all about the "odds of selling".

I have names that get an inquiry every week. Some have not had any inquiries for 10 years but are still "ok names".

This does not mean a domain will not sell for a nice profit though.

Some investors do need to sell the names with lower odds of selling (names that there are not many buyers for) to stronger hands who, financially, can hold them longer until the right buyer comes along.

It's all part of the game.
    All great advice but just want to point out to the new investors on here that "Some have not had any inquiries for 10 years but are still "ok names"." most likely are nothing new investors should take into account when they are looking over their portfolios. I see some of them renew worthless names for 5+ years in advance - don't do that.
    Follow on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Lovely domains View Post
      ...most likely are nothing new investors should take into account when they are looking over their portfolios
      True, plus I'm talking about my whole portfolio which is mainly dotcom. Dotcom has a much higher odds of selling so are in a different playing field.

The extension needs to be factored in when figuring out the odds of selling.

For every 100 people that are willing to pay 100K for Carparts.com there may only be 1 that will pay that for car.parts (for example).

"OK names" in ntlds are currently longshots.

Comment

For every 100 people that are willing to pay 100K for Carparts.com there may only be 1 that will pay that for car.parts (for example).
        While the statement is probably correct, I believe there is a flaw in the argument.

Many people in this forum got great new gTLDs for $100-$1k when they were first released. The equivalent .com would have costed them tens of times more, even at wholesale pricing.

So, in a way, for the same total amount of money invested, you could build a much bigger portfolio. And while the probability of selling each individual one domain is lower, the probability of selling one of out many becomes high.

That is, assuming you invested in only great new gTLDs with low renewal fees (otherwise you risk the chance of getting killed by renewals).

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          So, in a way, for the same total amount of money invested, you could build a much bigger portfolio. And while the probability of selling each individual one domain is lower, the probability of selling one of out many becomes high.

That is, assuming you invested in only great new gTLDs with low renewal fees (otherwise you risk the chance of getting killed by renewals).
          Yeah, but we aren't talking about "only great new gTLDs with low renewal fees". If we were, there weren't even many to be had to build a large portfolio of them. Maybe hundreds tops...? If even that many.

You don't have to worry much about odds of selling with those type.

When you are talking lower level names it has to be considered. The ntld will get a fraction of the interest it would get in dotcom. The dotcom buyer pool is massively larger.

Not saying anything is true in all cases but when it comes time to drop names this is a factor.

Comment

Maybe hundreds tops...? If even that many.
            Depends on whether you consider good left-of-the-word keywords in generic extensions like .xyz/.top/.vip to be good investments.

If so, then I think the number would be in the thousands.

Comment

Nice discussion above
              I totally agree with many points here. It is perfectly ok to drop names, as by time we get different ideas what works and what not.

One thing to note is also synergy in portfolio (means you create smaller sub-portfolios as per topic/extension). I think most people do not do that, which is pitty.

It is very difficult to build profitable new gTLD portfolio if that is just chaotic. Then we have lot of 50$/100$ selling threads here. We all know why.

I would say important is to group names, make sure you invest in tlds where you can achieve low renewals, and buy only domains with standard renewals from early adopters who secured names like that.

For example, you can keep .vip at dynadot for 5usd/year if it was secured with standard renewal early. So I have around 300 .vips, some of them very good. It costs me 1500 usd/year to hold those 300 names, which us totally funny.

This is totally doable then. So think also in terms if synergies and sustainability, not only number of searches and CPC (remember that registries are also aware of those parameters and some of them price their domains accordingly - so you are in direct competition with them in this line of thinking - and they will win the competition as you need to pay hefty renewals while they don't, and math will prevail sooner or later ). It is fortunate though that there are lof of registries and level of 'domainer friendlines' vary considerably. But I would say premium renewals is not what u need if u r domainer
              starting USD 5k Invest in premium new gTLD domains at Brands.International PM here or write at marek@brands.international

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Depends on whether you consider good left-of-the-word keywords in generic extensions like .xyz/.top/.vip to be good investments.

If so, then I think the number would be in the thousands.
                Even if so...how many of those ntld portfolios would currently be profitable or getting there?

When we hear that answer, which won't be positive, then we realize that there really aren't thousands after all.

I would guess very few. They need to be trimmed down and many probably dumped altogether.

Comment

Even if so...how many of those ntld portfolios would currently be profitable or getting there?

When we hear that answer, which won't be positive, then we realize that there really aren't thousands after all.

I would guess very few. They need to be trimmed down and many probably dumped altogether.
                  Yes, I agree with you on that point.

I cannot speak for others, but I can tell you that at least in my company's case, the reason we have not broken even yet is because of our own past inexperience. When we started back in 2014, we bought hundreds of domains that, as we gained experience, we noticed had no value, and we proceeded to drop them. If it wasn't for those mistakes, we would probably at least had broken even by now.

I know at least one other member of this forum that had a similar experience, and I would venture to say that you could find many others in the same situation.

Many of us, if we could turn back the clock, would probably have smaller, but more profitable portfolios today.

Comment

Originally posted by Marek View Post
                    Nice discussion above
                    I totally agree with many points here. It is perfectly ok to drop names, as by time we get different ideas what works and what not.

One thing to note is also synergy in portfolio (means you create smaller sub-portfolios as per topic/extension). I think most people do not do that, which is pitty.

It is very difficult to build profitable new gTLD portfolio if that is just chaotic. Then we have lot of 50$/100$ selling threads here. We all know why.

I would say important is to group names, make sure you invest in tlds where you can achieve low renewals, and buy only domains with standard renewals from early adopters who secured names like that.

For example, you can keep .vip at dynadot for 5usd/year if it was secured with standard renewal early. So I have around 300 .vips, some of them very good. It costs me 1500 usd/year to hold those 300 names, which us totally funny.

This is totally doable then. So think also in terms if synergies and sustainability, not only number of searches and CPC (remember that registries are also aware of those parameters and some of them price their domains accordingly - so you are in direct competition with them in this line of thinking - and they will win the competition as you need to pay hefty renewals while they don't, and math will prevail sooner or later ). It is fortunate though that there are lof of registries and level of 'domainer friendlines' vary considerably. But I would say premium renewals is not what u need if u r domainer
                    I fail to see the advantage of having "synergy" in a portfolio, other than maybe negotiating a better renewal price with a registrar.

Most end-users are usually interested in one particular domain, and don't usually care if you own more domains in the same extension. If I am and end-user interested in "shoes.vip", I probably don't care if you own "pizza.vip".

If your target customers are other domain investors instead of end-users, then maybe it makes more sense.

Comment

• Dan
                      Dan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Every time I have tried to sell a similar domain to an end-user that bought from me I have failed. It seems most end-users are usually interested in one.
                      But, there may be a market for selling domain "bundles". I hope you will let us know if you succeed

• Marek
                      Marek commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well the question would be if the names you offered really had some synergies between them if you state you fail with that (I do not know as I have no idea what names you do own) If you sold (example) pizza.vip and then offered shoes.vip this is not going to happen. But if you sold lets say (example) healthinsurance.online to insurance provider, and have also medicalinsurance.online and personalinsurance.online in your pocket, chances are much better! Some well prepared sale pitch and sell skills sure helps with that.

I see most portfolios here are chaos - all very good and quality names (registered in all extensions like .com, .net, .org and ccTLDs,, high CPC, great traffic, no TMs, all that stuff)..but still somehow not profitable...I am very much against chaos - I admit I need to have all under control

• Chad
                      Chad commented
                      Editing a comment
                      >>>Every time I have tried to sell a similar domain to an end-user that bought from me I have failed

In my almost 2 decades experience, I would say the same thing. They want that one domain, that's it.
                  Working...
                  X