Drop counts have nothing to do with the market

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop counts have nothing to do with the market

I see anti-new gtld folks talking about ntld drop counts. You know, like "a million dropping soon" or ".whatever reaching its lowest reg count after drops".

These numbers are nothing to pay attention to.

99.9% of most of these drops are domains that should have NEVER been registered to begin with in regards to investment purposes. The 1 cent sale type names. The NNN-NNNNNN.everything Chinese type names. The everydictionaryword.whatever domains. The, well it was only $1.88 type names. The I'm regging something because all the good stuff is already gone and I want to get something in this new extension type of names.

The daily drop lists are full of these types.

The cold hard fact is that most new extensions have about 0-100 "good" investment grade domains. In a few of the more generic extensions there are hundreds or low-mid thousands that are potentials.

Don't be fooled by these nonsensical drop numbers.

Something to think about when the next round of ntlds get released

I predict that when the new extensions start rolling out again on some regular basis, if they do, we will see more names regged earlier and with privacy on as many will not want to reveal that they too are investing in these.

That is, if the registries even release any of the top stuff.

Don't let the number of bad domains kill the good domains.

If you don't have any....get some or sit it out and wait for the next round. Don't reg just to reg...no matter how cheap they are.

a good name is a good name

I do not trust all that bla bla bla. the competition increased for me. its now expensive to dropcatch a good name. I see many new people in the game. so for me, lets say this excited: the game has just begun.

.. and wtf is a good name .. yes, thats the difficult part in the game
    NEW NAMES - ROYAL SUPER SALE

Comment

Originally posted by Royal.Domains View Post
      .. and wtf is a good name .. yes, thats the difficult part in the game
      A name with high search volume, type in traffic, revenue, and/or that many people would want to buy.

That's pretty much the foundation of what a good domain is.

"That many people would want to buy" is the secret sauce.

It's not as hard as one would think.

The trick is to forget "what you think" and go for "what buyers think".

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post

The cold hard fact is that most new extensions have about 0-100 "good" investment grade domains. In a few of the more generic extensions there are hundreds or low-mid thousands that are potentials.

IMO, a large drop in an extension is bad news, but for a different reason: if an extension loses 80% of its registrations, that means that the vast majority of domains were owned by clueless investors and not by end-users. And that is bad news for the whole new gTLD program.

I agree with you, most extensions have only a small number of "investment-grade" domains. However, wasn't the whole idea of the new gTLD program to attract end-users to new namespaces?

I believe that when Donuts applied for extensions like ".cleaning", their idea wasn't to sell only the 100 or so generic keywords that make sense with cleaning ("home", "office", etc.), but for any new cleaning company to consider building their website on a .cleaning domain. So far, I do not believe this has happened.

Last edited by Dan; 06-24-2017, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          ...if an extension loses 80% of its registrations, that means that the vast majority of domains were owned by clueless investors and not by end-users. And that is bad news for the whole new gTLD program.
          Yes, this is my point. It has no meaning. Just clueless registrations.

Bad for the whole ntld program only to domainers. End users don't watch drop counts or Twitter feeds of ntld haters.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          However, wasn't the whole idea of the new gTLD program to attract end-users to new namespaces?

I believe that when Donuts applied for extensions like ".cleaning", their idea wasn't to sell only the 100 or so generic keywords that make sense...
          For sure, but we are talking in regards to domainers not end users. Investment grade names are very limited.

Comment

I didn't think this thread would be too popular.

Too many newer players have different ideas of what a "good domain" is.

Comment

I didn't think this thread would be too popular.

Too many newer players have different ideas of what a "good domain" is.
              For me, a REALLY good new gTLD:

1. Has it's Keyword + TLD taken in .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .eu, .co.uk, .de, .tv, .us (and hopefully even more extensions).
              2. Has a CPC above $1 (preferable above $2).
              3. Has at least a decent search volume and frequency in Google.
              4. is NOT a trademark.
              5. Has a renewal fee below $50 (preferable below $25).
              6. Will get at least 5 type-ins or visits per day (to a landing page).

Do you think these are relevant parameters?
              Last edited by Fancy Domains; 06-26-2017, 06:40 AM.
              Sell any of my names at: Fancy.domains and get 30% commission.

My portfolio of domains
              Follow me on Twitter
              Connect with me on Linkedin

Comment

• Royal.Domains
                Royal.Domains commented
                Editing a comment
                wonderful

nr1 and 5 are hard to reach .. but yes .. with all the parameters u got a wonderful name

Originally posted by Fancy Domains View Post

1. Has it's Keyword + TLD taken in .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .eu, .co.uk, .de, .tv, .us (and hopefully even more extensions).
              4. is NOT a trademark.

Those are pretty good...how strict do you follow it?

Also "decent" search volume is subjective. I think a keyword.keyword getting a minimum of 5 figures in search volume is decent. Really good would be high 5 - 6 figures. There is no strict number though.

Search volume ranks most important.

Renewals can be higher if they are high search volume and valuable keywords.

Figuring out what a good brandable type name is gets more tricky. Keyword.keyword is easier.

Comment

Those are pretty good...how strict do you follow it?
                Before, I did not follow it at all because it was impossible. I only caught names that had reached General Availability after release. I was really lucky to be able to sell about 80 crappy names for low to mid $xxx in 2015 and 2016.

Today, when I do some "manual dropcatching", I try to get at least 4 out of 6 of these criteria fulfilled. The first of them is most important for me + staying away from OBVIOUS trademarks.

My portfolio of domains
                Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Ps. I still have a lot of crap names, but I am continuously replacing them with a little better ones. It will take some time. My portfolio is a marathon race, haha (as well as my web design).

My portfolio of domains
                  Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I see anti-new gtld folks talking about ntld drop counts. You know, like "a million dropping soon" or ".whatever reaching its lowest reg count after drops".

These numbers are nothing to pay attention to.

99.9% of most of these drops are domains that should have NEVER been registered to begin with in regards to investment purposes. The 1 cent sale type names. The NNN-NNNNNN.everything Chinese type names. The everydictionaryword.whatever domains. The, well it was only $1.88 type names. The I'm regging something because all the good stuff is already gone and I want to get something in this new extension type of names.

The daily drop lists are full of these types.

Something to think about when the next round of ntlds get released

I predict that when the new extensions start rolling out again on some regular basis, if they do, we will see more names regged earlier and with privacy on as many will not want to reveal that they too are investing in these.

That is, if the registries even release any of the top stuff.

Don't let the number of bad domains kill the good domains.

If you don't have any....get some or sit it out and wait for the next round. Don't reg just to reg...no matter how cheap they are.
                  I'm unsure why you would listen to arguments made by haters/lovers at all. Their "feelings" have nothing to do with investment, neither can they make a technical analysis of the numbers because most of them are stupid and lack any significant skill set to even make money on domains.

Follow on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Fancy Domains View Post

4. is NOT a trademark.

Very good list. Using this would save some domainers a lot of money. Even though its not always applicable, these values makes it easier to pan nice investment grade names.
                    Follow on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Lovely domains View Post
                    I'm unsure why you would listen to arguments made by haters/lovers at all.
                    I'm posting for those that listen and get persuaded by bad info.

Comment

• mad409
                      mad409 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Most of the negativity spawns from the same people and places on the net over and over again. Many will run and not understand like you pointed out the domains dropping should have never been registered for investment purposes. I've been in a buy and hold mode for quite some time. Some really good deals floating around, much better than we will see in future releases if and when they come.

drop counts ..

a big problem are the renewals. dot com is 10$ and without a reason the most ngTLDs costs more then 20$ per year

lets say the price for the perfect hamburger is 10$. would you pay 20$ for an other hamburger which is worse then the perfect burger ? most of us do

True Story: "Hello, I would like to buy a dot style." - "of course, but it costs 20$ more then the dot com" - "why?" - "I dont know"

whats the reason dot car is 2000$ every year ? what are the advantages ? for 2000$ every year I would like to see a super service
                    http://nic.car/ a site that tells us about a sunrise period in 2015

academy 30$, art 15$, baby 70$, black 40$, bio 60$, business 10$, recipes 50$, casa 5$, city 20$ etc etc .. up and down from 5$ to 20000$ .. completely fictitious

WHATS THE REASON ?!
                    Last edited by Royal.Domains; 06-27-2017, 01:47 AM.
                    NEW NAMES - ROYAL SUPER SALE

Comment

• Royal.Domains
                      Royal.Domains commented
                      Editing a comment
                      dot co ? yes I like dot co but 25$. NO WAY !

The reason I started this thread is due to blog posts like the following.

https://onlinedomain.com/2017/07/14/...s-past-8-weeks

They keep coming out.

"While most New gTLDs are loosing domains there are a few exceptions like .club that now has about 1 million domain names."

They actually mention 2 but say "most are".

"Haters be hating". I heard it in a rap song and it's true

The fact is, everyone in the domain industry knew the 1 cent xyz promos would drop...including damn near everyone that registered them. They were simply "so cheap" it was a "why not" moment.

Same thing with all the other "darn near free" registrations.

Drop counts don't mean crap in the real world.

End user usage stats is where it's at.

Is it increasing, decreasing?

If you are selling a product, you want a product people want to buy. The more people looking to buy your product the better chance you make a sale. Basic logic.

So when some blogger who is a hater and pissed off because they spent hard earned money on ntlds and didn't make a dime can come out with some real stats, lets see them.

Show me them real usage stats. End user stats. Not stats on how many terrible domains were registered and happened to drop.

I can find ten thousands of those daily in dotcom if I wanted.
                    Last edited by Chad; 07-15-2017, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X