Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of your domaining time is spent on nTLDs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of your domaining time is spent on nTLDs?

When it comes to finding names to buy or register, how much of your time is focused on nTLDs?

Just curious as I talked with someone today that said they spend 10 hours a day on this.

I asked, what could you possibly be doing?

I figured out, this must just be a hobby for him. An expensive hobby but then again many hobbies are expensive.

So I'm curious on how many that do this as a side business or as their sole business (or want to get to that point at some time) spend on nTLDs.

Personally, I spend maybe 1-2% of my time thinking about nTLDs to acquire. I really do not see anymore opportunity at this point. That time has passed.

The opportunity was at launch.

There are some drops that may be decent but the time spent isn't worth it to me. Those who hold the top names are players that can afford to renew them, for the most part.

There may be some opportunity buying direct from registries but their prices are too high in most or all cases.

Speculating on lower quality names is still far from maturing. A lesson was learned trying that game already.

So what about you?

I spend my domaining time only on registering New gTLDs and in 90% of cases it's only .LIFE .WORLD .CITY most of them are premium

+ a few Premium (only premium) .CLUB domains.

I spend about 10-15 minutes a day on average.

I don't register any other domains, such as .COM .NET .ORG... etc...

Comment

its a hobby for me. and I am still trying to come down to 100 names. 100 names is cool for overview.

10 minutes now here .. 10 minutes to check the drops .. 10 seconds to answer all the inquiries mails .. 40 minutes with Malik on Skype : Lets say an hour a day .. and for sure I spend more time in winter as in summer.

99% ngTLDs
      1% with .ch (switzerland) and .de (germany) names, pure collector hobby.

Originally posted by Chad View Post

Speculating on lower quality names is still far from maturing. A lesson was learned trying that game already.
      yes .. the name has to be 100% (the trick is, to find standard or low premium killers, otherwise you will burn)

I really do not see anymore opportunity at this point. That time has passed.

The opportunity was at launch.
      Goldmine vs Pan for gold

Summer 2015 .. we all was crazy .. great time

Last edited by Royal.Domains; 06-10-2017, 02:05 AM.
      WTF -- LOOK AT THIS -- AMAZING

Comment

One hour a day for the last year. Just increased it to two hours a day... Searching drops. 2015 and 2016 were great years for me with new gTLDs. 2017 seems soft and slow.

I will reduce my whole domain portfolio to exactly 365 names and then renew one of these a day, manually. When I sell one, I will buy a new one.

It might be considered as an "OCD behavior", but I want a solid good portfolio, not a decent or even semi-bad one.
        Sell any of my names at: Fancy.domains and get 35% commission.

My portfolio of domains
        Follow me on Twitter
        Connect with me on Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Royal.Domains View Post
          Goldmine vs Pan for gold
          Good analogy.

Just make sure how to distinguish real gold from fools gold.

Comment

I am in the process of getting out of investing in domains (or at least not spend time doing it) but with that said... I invest in domains as a side business and spend about 50% of my domaining time on ntlds. I average 2 hours per day of total domaining time, some days more, some days less.

Comment

I invest only in new gTLDs, no .com, no ccTLDs. I feel in .com and .ccTLDs is such a huge competition, so why I would insert myself into that, if I can be in new gTLDs area where competition is 100x less.

I am in the process of acquiring names from domainers, mostly those who started early in 2014. I have now around 1000 names, and I am getting new names mainly by buying out their portfolios for wholesale prices. Some people got in too early in my opinion, and are tired after 3-4 years, as they did not have whole information at that time which we have now, and they organized their portfolio's and renewals in a way which makes them tired... Of course, I hand reg some names too, but it is usually a stupid idea and my English also does not support me well, so I prefer to buy names which someone else selected, they are usually much better

My portfolio is self sustained, I do not insert my own money to it anymore. My aim is to keep around 1000 names into 2025, which is not difficult for my names, as all of them are standard renewals, except 3-4 exceptions (but even those are less then USD 50/year). I guess my approach is totally different from the rest on this forum, as I usually go for "second best" options in many cases. So someone can pay 1000/year for a name (top players), while I pay USD 5-20 for the same name, where I insert prefix "the", or I choose worse keyword with no so many searches, etc, but which is for standard renewal. It works for me, as I need 1-2 xxxx sales/year or several mid XXX sales to renew my whole portfolio for next year, which is totally realistic. So my goal is not to "live" from sales of domains - I have my daily job - , my goal is to have bigger self sustained portfolio in future.

Most of my best names I have renewed until 2022-2026 already, as I truly believe this will be times when it will make sense to start selling new names. Definitely not in 2017. Until then, I sometimes try to offer my worse domains to domainers for wholesale prices, but these are usually names which I do not feel to keep for many years to come anyway- usually the reason is not only the name itself, but I also want to have synergy in my portfolio, which means I started to prefer certain extensions (.life, .world, .live, .zone, .online, .sale, .estate, and .vip) and trying to acquire new names particularly in those extensions. There are lot of reasons why exactly those extensions, but some of them are prices, bulk transfers, renewal options, demand, future use, future search possibilities and possible search and seo advantages, and how registries behind those extensions behave in regards to domain investors, plus tons of others.

I do not wish or plan to become "domainer" - domain portfolio is purely an investment vehicle for me. Spent lot of time on this until now, as needed to learn lot of things, but as I already made my mind to what I feel will be good for future, I am starting now thinking of actual usage of some domains - have secured some nice domains, so it is time to use some of them
              starting USD 5k Invest in premium new gTLD domains at Brands.International PM here or write at marek@brands.international

Comment

I really do not see anymore opportunity at this point. That time has passed.
                I disagree. Many extensions either reserved all investment-grade domains, or gave them crazy premium prices.

I expect many of them to realize that doing that was a mistake, and eventually lower prices and allow reserved domains to be registered.

It already started to happen: .broker did it a while ago, also .xyz decided to drastically reduce pricing a few days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

I disagree. Many extensions either reserved all investment-grade domains, or gave them crazy premium prices.

I expect many of them to realize that doing that was a mistake, and eventually lower prices and allow reserved domains to be registered.

It already started to happen: .broker did it a while ago, also .xyz decided to drastically reduce pricing a few days ago.
                  Yeah I see that as a possible opportunity as well and mentioned it. It's a possible if them prices get dropped. They haven't right now so no opportunity with that until they do. This most likely will need to be done at a private level dealing direct with the registries.

There may be some opportunity buying direct from registries but their prices are too high in most or all cases.

Comment

I somewhat disagree that there is no more opportunities in this space, it's not just the same scenario as in say .com. You can't treat it the same way or you'll end up like Rick who wasted a shit ton of money on "premium" new gTLD:s.

As far as time spent, I do spend a few hours a month on these maybe 2-3 at a max. Previous years I spent more time on this, this year my target has been to earn more and work less and I succeeded at that. Higher upfront prices, more anonymous = harder to reach, brokers, spam filters etc. It filter out a lot of tire kickers. Slimming down the portfolio to max 150 names, getting higher quality ones. Don't dwell in promos anymore. My workflow will be further improved by the end of the year.

Learning curve not as steep now, last year was good, this year is great.

Follow on Twitter

Comment

I'm spending a couple hours each evening when time allows, most of that is reading news and finding a deal here and there. It's a buyer's market IMO with new g's, all the negative press being spread around the net. Domaining is a side venture for me, I can camp out and hold as long as needed.
                    Domains for-sale, www.DomainByOwner.net.

Comment

Working...
                    X