New gTLDs at Uniregistry getting massive price hike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New gTLDs at Uniregistry getting massive price hike

New gTLDs at Uniregistry, and soon probably others, are getting massive price hikes.
    Stories on DNW - http://domainnamewire.com/2017/03/07...-domain-names/
    and
    DomainIncite - http://domainincite.com/21603-schill...nIncite.com%29

Not good at all. I hope other registries do not follow suit, otherwise many of us will have to drastically reduce our portfolio.

I think Schilling made a huge mistake of reserving practically every domain of value when his extensions were first released. If he had followed Donut's model, and priced the investment-grade domains at premium (but not crazy) prices, he may be in a much better position today.

Comment

One competitor for domainers money is off, good for the others. I believe ntld program has a bright future, provided two conditions are met:

1. Good domains are not reserved and are available at reasonable registration cost, and
      2. Renewal prices are grandfathered.

Comment

Originally posted by kriss05 View Post
        One competitor for domainers money is off, good for the others. I believe ntld program has a bright future, provided two conditions are met:

1. Good domains are not reserved and are available at reasonable registration cost, and
        2. Renewal prices are grandfathered.
        Schilling is not grandfathering renewal prices.

Comment

• kriss05
          kriss05 commented
          Editing a comment
          Bad for him. As I wrote, one competitor for domainers money is off. If other nTLD operators don't follow his suit, their nTLDs will fine fine I believe.

• airmax
          airmax commented
          Editing a comment
          If others follow suit the gtld program will effectively be dead.

This looks at a very hardlined attempt to get a short term revenue boost, but the downside blowback
          comes with a huge price.

I don't know why uniregistry is not informing registrants, I have received no emails about price hikes. This concerns me, I am loyal, but my loyalty might have reached its limit.

They are really testing the legal vulnerability within these contracts.

If I had to do it all over again, I wish I could double down into .com in 2014, lucky I bought mainly donuts extensions.

I think not grandfathering prices is a huge mistake. It is going to piss off every current owner of uniregistry domains.

Comment

There is no mention of grandfathering, increases across the board, will force the drop of some good domains, will they be reclaimed by north sounds for end user sale?

Not good news, puts us back 4 years, 3 years into the build out.

Comment

An increase in price = a decrease in demand so he will probably not earn more or less. What he will do is to seriously damage goodwill. If an economist gave you this advice Frank you should fire him or her because it will most likely cost you more in the medium-long run. This is basic stuff.
            Follow on Twitter

Comment

.. or he is just volatile and greedy
              WTF -- LOOK AT THIS -- AMAZING

Comment

i have over 100 domains registered through uni.. if that happens, i will be dropping most of them, that is BS.
                www.Domain.Partners

Comment

https://onlinedomain.com/2017/03/08/...rogram-warning

Just a few years ago, Schilling was warning against the dangers of price increases in new gTLDs. LOL.

Comment

Schilling posted this in onlinedomain.com:
                    Hi Konstantinos Making this change will give us the ability to lower prices and raise them (return pricing to the norm) with greater flexibility. Right now we can lower prices as much as we want but our regulator dictates that “raising” prices requires this notice. So we’ve announced a price increase and once it’s in we plan to run registration “and” renewal promotions from there. Clearly we want our namespaces and all those in them to thrive.
                    Uniregistry will be running names in 20 or 30 years and everyone reading this who was lucky enough to participate in the birth of these namespaces is going to have to expect the unexpected. We have more invested than anyone in our GTLDs and will make sure our namespaces and registrants (of all kinds) succeed.
                    When we originally wrote our applications and applied for new GTLD’s, no registry operator knew there would be 1000 applications or that we would have some extensions with under 5,000 registrations. We’re pivoting to deal with that business reality and every registrant in those spaces is pivoting with us. There is a real cost to putting on a registry operation and as I said, unapologetically structuring our registries to succeed.
                    The biggest reason for this price increase is that we can (at last) release our premium names in these spaces knowing that the registry will be paid commensurately for providing great span-the-dot names in limited base namespace. I will be so happy to have the “premium name” game behind us and all registrations available. I am sure that every other registry will eventually copy the higher price model or be bought by one that does.
                    New GTLDs are here to stay. The business plan for curating their success is evolving. We are going wherever this journey takes us. ; )

Comment

Hi All, I just posted this on a blog but I thought I would share here too.

Donuts isn’t in a position to comment on a competitor’s pricing decisions. Speaking for ourselves, however, we have no plans to increase prices for existing registrants — this is not part of our business plan. We voluntarily entered into agreements with our registrars that dramatically limits our ability to increase prices for existing registrants. Case in point, in the only instance to date of an upward price adjustment (effective last October 1), we increased our prices for only unregistered names and exempted existing registrations.

We understand the negative impact that unexpected price increases have on domain investors, and we want to underline again how much we appreciate the value that domain investors bring to Donuts and to the industry.

Comment

• Dan
                        Dan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks

• Malik@domain.broker
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Andee!

• dnlife
                        dnlife commented
                        Editing a comment
                        thanks !

Originally posted by Andee Hill View Post
                      Hi All, I just posted this on a blog but I thought I would share here too.

Donuts isn’t in a position to comment on a competitor’s pricing decisions. Speaking for ourselves, however, we have no plans to increase prices for existing registrants — this is not part of our business plan. We voluntarily entered into agreements with our registrars that dramatically limits our ability to increase prices for existing registrants. Case in point, in the only instance to date of an upward price adjustment (effective last October 1), we increased our prices for only unregistered names and exempted existing registrations.

We understand the negative impact that unexpected price increases have on domain investors, and we want to underline again how much we appreciate the value that domain investors bring to Donuts and to the industry.

Thank you very much for this update!
                      Sell any of my names at: Fancy.domains and get 35% commission.

My portfolio of domains
                      Follow me on Twitter
                      Connect with me on Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Schilling posted this in onlinedomain.com:
                        Hi Konstantinos Making this change will give us the ability to lower prices and raise them (return pricing to the norm) with greater flexibility. Right now we can lower prices as much as we want but our regulator dictates that “raising” prices requires this notice. So we’ve announced a price increase and once it’s in we plan to run registration “and” renewal promotions from there. Clearly we want our namespaces and all those in them to thrive.
                        Uniregistry will be running names in 20 or 30 years and everyone reading this who was lucky enough to participate in the birth of these namespaces is going to have to expect the unexpected. We have more invested than anyone in our GTLDs and will make sure our namespaces and registrants (of all kinds) succeed.
                        When we originally wrote our applications and applied for new GTLD’s, no registry operator knew there would be 1000 applications or that we would have some extensions with under 5,000 registrations. We’re pivoting to deal with that business reality and every registrant in those spaces is pivoting with us. There is a real cost to putting on a registry operation and as I said, unapologetically structuring our registries to succeed.
                        The biggest reason for this price increase is that we can (at last) release our premium names in these spaces knowing that the registry will be paid commensurately for providing great span-the-dot names in limited base namespace. I will be so happy to have the “premium name” game behind us and all registrations available. I am sure that every other registry will eventually copy the higher price model or be bought by one that does.
                        New GTLDs are here to stay. The business plan for curating their success is evolving. We are going wherever this journey takes us. ; )

This is just horrible... I will NEVER pay 100 bucks for a "decent name" and very few domainers will either.
                        Sell any of my names at: Fancy.domains and get 35% commission.

My portfolio of domains
                        Follow me on Twitter
                        Connect with me on Linkedin

Comment

Not much to add here but I think the fact that previous reg's won't be grandfathered in is a problem.

Going to be a rude awakening for those with auto renew on. Possible lawsuits.

Comment

Working...
                          X