No announcement yet.

All Donuts domains get updated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just checked 2,000 LL domains out of 200,0000 two-character domains Donuts released in September 2015. 722 out of 2000 are reserved now! Not pretending to statistical accuracy, but you get the point: are we talking about tens or even maybe hundreds of thousands domains getting reserved?

Comment

Well, at least we have to be thankful that Donuts waited until the drops from last year's collision list were over. A few members of this forum (myself included) dropcatched some interesting domains.

I feel bad for Hexonet though, they went through the trouble of building a dropcatching tool for Donuts domains.

Comment

I came into nGTLDs pretty late, haven't built portfolio yet Donuts, you are going now to lose $xx,xxx worth of annually registrations, let alone renewals. What kind of business is this? Looks like Escrow.com-like

Also feel bad for Hexonet, they did great job. Hexonet is such a nice, yet unlucky, company: they were banned from .in dropcatching by jealous competitors few years ago, now this Donuts' nGTLD fail...

Comment

• Addict
          Addict commented
          Editing a comment
          I've always wondered why hexonet doesn't allow .in backorders. Thanks

this morning .. cruise.services :*( .. I liked the name, but now, after its reserved, I am in love with it
        Last edited by Royal.Domains; 01-10-2017, 04:20 AM.
        NEW NAMES - ROYAL SUPER SALE

Comment

• kriss05
          kriss05 commented
          Editing a comment
          My entire list of previously available good names is going to be archived now. So much irony in Andee's offering the dropping lists, knowing that they are almost useless now.
          Last edited by kriss05; 01-10-2017, 08:33 AM.

but its interesting .. since names are going rare I got more and more inquiries

Comment

Donuts, at times, has elected to reserve certain names, either prior to their release or after a registration is not renewed. This is for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to marketing or promotional evaluation. We will continue to do this from time to time, and may choose to make many of the names we reserve available again after our evaluation. A core objective as a company is of course to make available as many names as possible, and to encourage their use. I can’t provide any fine-level detail, but the customers in this forum are important to us and I wanted you to know we’re paying attention to your concerns.

Comment

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for letting us know. I think you should also evaluate domains that were never registered because of their high premium price, and consider lowering the price on those.

This is getting a bit ridiculous and a complete waste of everyone's time.

I had buy.network backordered at hexonet, the domain dropped, and immediately shows reserved. I am about done trying to register Donuts domains. Andee - you say we are important but I think most are getting fed up with the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Andee Hill View Post
            Donuts, at times, has elected to reserve certain names, either prior to their release or after a registration is not renewed. This is for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to marketing or promotional evaluation. We will continue to do this from time to time, and may choose to make many of the names we reserve available again after our evaluation. A core objective as a company is of course to make available as many names as possible, and to encourage their use. I can’t provide any fine-level detail, but the customers in this forum are important to us and I wanted you to know we’re paying attention to your concerns.
            Below is what I've learned from the above - I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

"Donuts, at times, has elected to reserve million certain names", "We will continue wasting everyone's time/money by reserving million names from time to time", "We know that you are unhappy but we are for-profit co and this is what really matters".

Let me add that huge amount of previously unregistered names got reserved as well. Also .doctor domains were enjoying only few months of being available to general public, now many got reserved.

I think it is obvious that no registry can survive without investors, and it is so true for nTLDs. Why hurt us then?

Let me tell the story of one nTLD investor. That’s me I’m strong believer in nTLDs, it is no brainer they will be success. But I came into the game quite late, as I saw no opportunity in early years, as everything meaningful was registry reserved. Donuts’ releasing millions of reserved names in 2015 was such a relief, so I jumped on. At the end of last year I decided to build large portfolio, spent countless hours searching for available good domains, monitoring drops, composing lists etc. I spent $xx,xxx buying Donuts domains in last couple of months, my portfolio was growing, was going to double-triple it in coming months, I was building plans, life was beautiful etc. But nothing good can last forever, Donuts’ move to put all good stuff back to the wallet turned out to be waste of my time/efforts. I was reluctant so much to get back to .cctlds/.coms, but if I want growing, successful business, I will have no choice but get back there, if such policy like recent Donuts move persists.

Now all fellow nTLD investors will lose interest in monitoring dropping domains, as it is complete waste of time. Hexonet is going to lose their to-be-successful nTLD backorder business. Such unpleasant, quietly made moves like reserving million names back will again spread fears among domainers about possible, and sudden, changes in renewal prices. It all reminds me recent Escrow.com's fail related to new account verification requirements - it is so amazing to watch how they are killing their successful business.

Well, one can only hope that this mass-reserving made by Donuts was a part of their new clever plan to make domaining community happy soon somehow

Comment

that is ridiculous ,I will stop buying donuts domains until they change this stupid strategy. It's time to put a stop to this nonsense
              www.Domain.Partners

Comment

Originally posted by Domain.Company View Post
                that is ridiculous ,I will stop buying donuts domains until they change this stupid strategy. It's time to put a stop to this nonsense
                They don't want you or anyone else to buy them, why else do you think they are reserving them?

Comment

It would be funny if they release them again soon, trying to earn on EAP and related fees. Someone at another forum supposed that they maybe want to create artificial demand by limiting supply drastically. Also maybe trying to make people to buy low quality stuff as well. 2013-2014 again
                  Last edited by kriss05; 01-11-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I said it many times, its better to deal in the aftermarket now given the behavior of the registries.
                    Follow on Twitter

Comment

For the first time since I started to deal with ngtlds I had to go back to .coms, so bought 100 .coms last week. IMHO, the largest harm to nTLD program so far is not lack of demand, lack of end user interest etc. but poor management by registries

Comment

I was always .com, this was a side bet, that the registries screwing up royally,

I have enough of these now, and hope I can sell a few more to buy myself some insurance if these go the way of .name, .mobi, .biz etc... which is peak, then fall off the cliff.

Be smart with your money, tech companies in hyper build outs have been known to be naive, and careless with investors money.

Donuts I can assure you demand, and price is with .com, this side of the dot still has a lot to prove. We are in for many sub $1 discount extensions, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

I don't want to be the one who said told you so, but we are getting close to a pivot.

GTLDs are useless to domainers, and they are useless to end users if nobody can access them. Even moreso they are useless to your investors, if they cannot get a return off of them.
                        Last edited by airmax; 01-16-2017, 09:20 AM.

Comment

the reserved donuts names are back and available

Comment

Working...
                          X