All Donuts domains get updated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Donuts domains get updated?

I noticed today when looking at drop times that all the donut owned tlds have updated something in the Whois record. Even domains that I have owned for a long time were updated. Ex. .world, .style, .network

Anyone have an idea why this was done? It's making it very difficult to know what time a domain drops now.

Updated what? For those dropping or all? I see no change in mine when checking the whois.

Comment

The last updated date says 1/6/2017 on my domains. I checked dropping domains and my own.

For example, vip.network and db.world have a last updated date of 1/6/2016 showing in the whois record.

Domain Name: vip.network
      Registry Domain ID: d93791e7ef1942ca8fe1a60575d73597-DONUTS
      Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.uniregistrar.com
      Registrar URL: http://uniregistrar.com
      Updated Date: 2017-01-06T00:43:22Z
      Creation Date: 2014-12-10T16:17:26Z
      Registry Expiry Date: 2017-12-10T16:17:26Z
      Registrar: Uniregistrar Corp

Domain Name: db.world
      Registry Domain ID: 3e72663bd6d0461286c322fd0a809759-DONUTS
      Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.1api.net
      Registrar URL: http://www.1api.net
      Updated Date: 2017-01-06T01:04:10Z
      Creation Date: 2016-11-23T23:37:49Z
      Registry Expiry Date: 2017-11-23T23:37:49Z
      Registrar: 1API GmbH

*I tried upload an image of what I'm talking about but it's not working.
      Last edited by Addict; 01-06-2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Yeah mine did that too. Updated dates in whois often get updated but not sure how that works. Never pay attention to those.

How does it change how to tell if a domain is dropping though? I thought that always goes by expiration date.

Comment

It goes by expiration date but 5 days before the drop the domain will be updated with the current date and the time. The time of the updated date usually tells you what time the domain should drop and be available. I say should because I've seen some weird stuff. Do note that I usually only track Donuts tlds so not sure about others.

Also I have noticed Donuts reserving some domains that should have dropped. For example, es.world should have dropped yesterday but is now registry reserved

Comment

I didn't know that but don't pay much attention to ntld drops.

Will be interesting to see if they start holding back drops. Most are now.

Comment

Hi Chad and Addict, we had to update the domain ROID (registry operator ID) to meet ICANN's new RDAP policy. That could be what you are seeing in the whois update.
              Let me know if you want a list of the dropping names. I think you can get that other places, but I am happy to send you a list too.

Comment

• Addict
                Addict commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the response Andee. And thanks for the offer for the drop list. I get the list elsewhere so I am not in need of it.

• eshaan
                eshaan commented
                Editing a comment
                @ Andee
                80% of our portfolio are donuts domains and will be more interested to register the best domains
                please send me frequent dropping names to my email id websubhash@gmail.com

Originally posted by Andee Hill View Post
              Hi Chad and Addict, we had to update the domain ROID (registry operator ID) to meet ICANN's new RDAP policy. That could be what you are seeing in the whois update.
              Let me know if you want a list of the dropping names. I think you can get that other places, but I am happy to send you a list too.

Thank you Andee for your reply!
              But we have a big question, if you can and want to answer it, for whatever reason (if it is not secret) Donuts, reserves back, some of the domains?
              It was not possible to register some of the domains after drop.
              Thank you!

Comment

• Addict
                Addict commented
                Editing a comment
                It's allowed and I don't really blame them for doing it. Their method for determining what to reserve is a little bit of a mystery to me.

I am curious too ..

it started about 3 or 4 month ago .. but only with the killer names and I thought: I would make it too.

but now, I am a bit afraid, hunderts of good names are reserved. and not only the killers anymore. many names every day.
              NEW NAMES - ROYAL SUPER SALE

Comment

Originally posted by Andee Hill View Post
                Could you please shed a light on your recent policy of reserving almost every valuable domain being dropped?

Comment

WOW, just checked - Donuts seem to reserve thousands, if not tens of thousands, domains. They were reserving not only dropping domains but nearly everything - even many .doctor domains that were released only few months ago. Donuts, please explain what was that?
                  Last edited by kriss05; 01-08-2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Donuts reserving these dropping names is extremely unhealthy, at least when they are open, or in the hands of a domainer they have a path to registration, and use.

When they are sitting reserved, that is one less user, and just another dead end.

Essentially they are doing themselves a disservice. If GTLD's go mainstream, their business is not going to nickel, and dime a few sales here, and there, it will be to manage the hundreds of extensions with above average, and premium renewals.

I think another mistake, but whatever their show.

Comment

I also noticed this drastic change. It started a couple of months ago when they started reserving almost all good dropping .dog domains. Then, they expanded to other extensions. Over the past few weeks, they decided to start reserving on a large scale.

Well, there goes one of the only companies that I thought was doing things correctly.

I guess this is what happens when you let for-profit companies manage domain extensions. I don't understand why ICANN couldn't manage the extensions themselves, or at least forbid registries from reserving domains or charging premium prices.

Comment

• Royal.Domains
                        Royal.Domains commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I thought the same but I dont really believe it.
                        we had very good 3 years with donuts .. we was able to buy amazing names for nothing .. and its not really over, there are still a lot of nice names from donuts available

• airmax
                        airmax commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Amazing Names for nothing lol, speak for yourself, most of us paid up in EAP, and a few pretty pennies in renewals.

This is still a very risky setting, there is no guarantees of many here ever getting who, if they want to add up their invest, and renewal fees paid, along with the opportunity cost going back to early 2014, when some great .com's were very affordable.

• Royal.Domains
                        Royal.Domains commented
                        Editing a comment
                        true .. I hyped it
                        but it was for sure a good time

All good .dog domains?

How many are there? I can only think of maybe 10-20 "good" in that extension. Most owned already.

Comment

• Royal.Domains
                        Royal.Domains commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I thought I am good in researching but Dan, he found everything that worth the money. Dan is surprising me again and again.
                        let me check the whois --> DAN O_o

• Chad
                        Chad commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think they are doing us a favor holding back them .dog names

• Dan
                        Dan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If it was only the .dog names I wouldn't mind, but now it is almost everything.

Also noticed those strange .dog reservations couple of months ago but didn't pay much attention as it was .dog. Maybe they choose .dog to start with in order to not to attract unwanted attention too early Didn't follow drops in December, recently got back to ngtlds and wow - nothing left to register, everything got reserved. 2014 again...Donuts please don't make us get back to .com's lol.
                      Last edited by kriss05; 01-09-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Dan
                        Dan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree - they probably used .dog to test their new policy, before expanding.
                    Working...
                    X